Monday 11 March 2013

(#kcinterview) Entrepreneurial mum

Anita Whittaker, a married mother of four, has been running her own blog for 8 months and has put the wheels in motion for a one stop shop for boys only which is due to go live shortly. Here is an exclusive interview with a very ambitious and inspiring woman.

What made you want to start your blog, Only Boys and Tomboys?
I started OB&T because so many people were asking me how I coped with all my boys. They would say 'How do you manage to maintain your home?' 'They look so stylishly dressed, where do you get their clothes?' 'What is it like to be the only female?' So I thought I'd answer all those questions and hopefully inspire other mums of boys.

Do you think that you've been able to carry out the the goals and plans that you originally had for your blog?
I'm still on my way to achieving those goals as the blog has opened new avenues that I have added to my original plan. I had totally underestimated the power of blogging and how much responsibility I have in order to be taken seriously as a future business.

Are there any avenues in particular that you have been thinking about expanding into a future business?
I definitely plan to open an online store selling Only Boys and Tomboys clothing, from designers I have met along the way. A one stop shop for boys clothing, as I've always had to trawl to find individual clothing for my boys and to review. Each designer would only have a few boys pieces in their collections in comparison to what they have for the girls.

Is it hard finding time to blog and launch you're business whilst looking after your family?
I have always said, I don't have time but I'll make time. That is with everything in life, time is not an issue or a limiter, time management is the key. Now motivation is a whole other subject!!

What motivates/inspires you to blog and style your boys?
My motivation to blog is, one, a love of writing and telling a story, everyone who knows me knows I can talk and talk..! Blogging is a way of dealing with my verbal diarrhoea. On the serious side, I started with a view that a business will come from it, it's work. I once met an old colleague who asked me when my next post was going to be and that she checked daily for a new post. I had slacked for 3 months. She is now one of my motivators, when ever I feel like slacking I remember her and others are loyally following and waiting; I don't want to let people down. It's not just about me, I have a responsibility and who would take me seriously in business if I could not be relied upon. I love my children to look good, from my elder down, it has always been important to me that they stood out from the crowd and exuded style. Growing up we didn't have much money but in public my brother and I were always well turned out. Before I was born my mum was a Beauty Queen and my dad was a professional sports person, image was always important and fashion was always a part of our lives. I guess that's where it came from. Having all boys had made me even more determined to showcase there style, and style them to their individual personalities, I refuse to dress them all the same, where is the fun in that?!

What advise would you give to anyone that is looking to start blogging or thinking about opening their own business?
My advise would be to do your research. What makes your idea unique, what will make you stand out from the crowd. Who are you aiming to attract. Always stay positive, don't doubt your vision and be prepared to adapt and change your idea as time goes along. Look for a Business Mentor, it's invaluable information learning from someone who has been there and done it; don't be afraid to ask for help. Even the most successful business people get help.

You can follow Only Boys and Tomboys on facebook, twitter, youtube and tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment